Saturday, October 25, 2008

Commercial viability

I love advertisements.

No, I don't just sit and watch ads - if I have something TiVo-ed, I will fast-forward through commercials. But I like breaking down the approach - what are the ad execs doing; is it entertaining; who are they targeting?

These are just some of the things I like to think about when I actually do watch the ads.

There are particular campaigns that I have enjoyed over the years. As little as I've like the product, the "Taste great, less filling" ads were fun. I have to admit to a certain visceral pleasure in watching Justin Timberlake getting whacked in the 'nads for a soda commercial. I thought the Visa commercials during the Olympics, the ones talking about the Olympic spirit - the one about the sprinter who finished the race leaning on his father, in particular - were excellent.

But some of my favorite sports related ads were from a campaign that's about five years old - Terry Tate, office linebacker.

The man is back...





No comments: