Sunday, August 27, 2006

It's about that time again...

On the verge of a new season of football, it is time for me to make my season predictions...

First - the NFC -

NFC East - I'm not convinced that this division is going to be the powerhouse that many of the other sports writers seem to believe it will be. I do think that the division is up for grabs, not because all the teams are powerful, but because all the teams are at about the same level of mediocrity - The Eagles don't seem to believe in a balanced offense, Eli Manning looks like he's picking up where he left off at the end of last season as opposed to the beginning of it, the Skins have looked pretty bad on both sides of the ball, and the TO thing already looks like it is in danger of blowing up in Dallas.

1st - Cowboys - Assuming Jerry Jones is going to be smart enough and cut his losses and release Terrible Owens before he becomes a problem for the whole team. Terry Glenn looked pretty much like a legitimate number one in the preseason contests I've seen, and Owens is more likely to become a bigger problem after today's fine.
2nd - Eagles - Honestly, in this division, I think I can fill in almost anyone here. I don't trust any team that throws the ball on average more than 70 percent of the time, but I haven't liked what I've seen from anyone else in the division this preseason.
3rd - Giants - With Eli Manning looking like he's backsliding and a defense not living up to the hype, this crew looks like it's not going to pick up where it left off last year.
4th - Redskins - I can't, in good conscience pick a team to win that would have trouble stopping any half-decent passing game. Hell, the Patriots don't even have a number one receiver and they still smoked the Skins 41-0.

Next - The NFC North...

No comments: