Friday, May 04, 2007

The Non-Story of the Sporting Year so Far...

Much ado about nothing...

Evidently Tom Brady has been spotted lately wandering around Manhattan wearing a Yankees cap. The various national sports media outlets are making a big deal out of the signal caller for the New England Patriots wearing something other than the hometown Red Sox cap.

Let's note a couple of things here - first, he grew up in the Giants and Athletics territory, not Massachusetts. Second, this isn't the first time he has been seen wearing a Yankees cap. Third, who cares? Everyone that's a sports fan develops their own tastes and preferences and I don't expect that to change just because the individual ends up playing in the territory of the team that is the rival of whom they root for.

I played football in high school, and had I been large enough and good enough to play in college and get drafted, let me tell you how I would have signed that big fat contract with the teams that I hated growing up. If I ended up on the Jets, yes you would have seen me wearing my Sox cap and jersey at Yankee Stadium.

Now, if he were to go and sign a contract to play for the Dolphins or the Colts...well then, all bets are off.

No comments: